Saturday, July 11, 2009

Accidents Happen

Ouch! I have a boo-boo.I got bit by my Rattlesnake quilt. More precisely, by the rotary cutter as I was trimming my paper-piecing on my Rattlesnake quilt. I cut off half the fingernail and a bit of the tip of my right middle finger. Thankfully I was with a friend at the time rather than sewing by myself. She was able to help me drop everything and get to the walk-in clinic. Man, something like that really shakes a person up. At the clinic I was told I shouldn't have too much of a scar visible once the nail grows back over that area. There certainly are a lot of nerves that run through your fingers. I was prescribed some pain medication. Thankfully that takes the edge off, but I've managed to ding it a few times already. I don't like taking too much of the pain killer because it makes me loopy, nauseous and sleepy. However, I've been taking it enough to ease some of the sting so it's not so bad. I get the heebee jeebees just thinking about it. (Whoa, Shudder!)

So the quilt making is being put on hold for a bit. I'll have to find something else I can do while waiting for this to heal up.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Quilting Progress

21 paper-pieced football shapes completed so far.I'm continuing my work on the Rattlesnake Quilt. So far I'm a bit more than half way through with sewing the football shaped paper-piecing. I've been giving some thought to how I'll be finishing this quilt. It would be better for me to complete it as a larger quilt than the original calls for. I've got some ideas for adding borders and extra squares to make it larger. It's looking good so far. I can't wait to get it finished.


Testing the layout of the block shapes.One thing I've found that makes it easier when paper piecing is to use an open toe foot on my sewing machine. I can see the printed pattern line for stitching much better with the open toe foot. This is a definite asset. Some of my blocks are not precisely sewn on the lines, but close enough for me.

Here's a photo of a sample layout. Just testing . . . of course I plan on adding some bright colors to form the rest. Then it should 'pop' instead of the dull, flat look here. I really like the blacks and whites. Adding bright colors should look wonderful.

Okay, enough chatter for now, back to work.